Monday, September 1, 2008

Issues

In response to the 'issues' questions this week :

The undergraduate program offers us the basics, a look at what others have accomplished or theorized- the trial and error of the past if you will- and our thesis project is all about the personal expression of our interpretations of all the information and compilation of facts our studies expose us to. In other words, Thesis is about taking what we have learned and translating it into our own definition or understanding of architecture, and then applying it to a project as a sort of material explanation. This is probably the first and only chance we will have to create something entirely without outside influence to exactly reflect our specific goals and theories. Once we enter the 'real world' we no longer have the total freedom of expression and face the requirements of codes, regulations, clients, budgets, and existing architectural problems. In thesis we are given both the chance to 'create' and solve the problem we feel necessary. This may not be the greatest work we will ever do as architects, certainly half our education comes after graduation, but it is the greatest opportunity we will get.

An architectural problem is any situation where architecture fulfills a specific need or requirement that may be posed by location, function, etc. A project is then designed to 'solve' the problem. I love architecture for this reason- that it is a problem/solution relationship. It is a kit of parts- a make your own sort of massively creative puzzle. I would love to emerse myself in the details and design aspect of the profession with small residential renovation/ addition commissions, where I could feel that I adequatley solved the problem and was able to look at every aspect of the building and process. In stark contrast, however, I think I'd be equally satisfied with public projects that most likley would not have the budget for the details, but served a greater good such as civic buildings that would help make a positive change in the community. Fame and fortune are not my goals. I've always been highly involved in my community and in giving back- and to be honest that's more important than big commissions or big ideas. Even in my work, it's more about the site, community, and function, than in the expression of a theory or style. My goal is to make myself feel like I'm making a difference and not every one else. Architecture is fun to me because it's a personal challenge- to see if I can solve the problem with my knowledge and a kit of parts.

No comments: